Friday, November 7, 2008

I like To Move It!


I took my daughter to Madagascar II tonight.   It was a great movie.   For the first time, I finally let myself "be in the moment" and enjoyed the movie. I probably only let my mind wander about "him" a couple of times (few seconds each time...as compared to an entire movie in the past).   My Q. was working late.   He is in the I.T./I.S. field, and he had to do something with the network.   This means he may not get home until late.    So, I decided to head to the movies.   Before Q. left tonight to head back to work, we had great communication and all had hugs & kisses.    I found myself feeling guilty for going without him, but I knew I had to begin to branch out and not wait for his "kibble" every weekend.   I usually do not make any plans hoping that I will somehow fit into his life.   This has led me to become quite isolated at times.  I think the guilt came from the fact that normally...he would call me as he way driving home from work at 3:00ish and mention that he would be either: a) stopping off to have "a drink" with his friend (also an alcoholic) or b) meeting his friend at a bar for "a drink".   Then he would show up around 7:00 to 8:00ish drunk and tired.    This is the current trend.  I know that the tide will change soon as the holidays approach.    Usually...this means friends from out of town will return.   More bar and late night evenings....I'm really trying to NOT obsess about him.   I did very well today.   Got a haircut, actually got dressed up just to drop off daughter at Preschool.    Went shopping, etc...basically, I kept myself busy.    While I was at Whole Foods shopping, I noticed I was trying to be friendly and could tell I must have had more confidence...because many were responding slightly more positive than usual.   Ok...I know that sounds like a Codie thing to say...but it just felt like a pretty good day.   Minus the guilt from enjoying the movie while he was working.   All a part of the process I guess.    

8 comments:

Syd said...

It sounds positive--living your own life for yourself. I had to learn to keep the focus on me, rather than on the alcoholic. I used to let her be my HP. Now we just are people who are flawed and can see each other more clearly.

Unknown said...

You seem to use your awareness level as a great tool! We need to catch ourselves doing nice things for just us! Isolation and Pity are two big red flags for me. The growth, for me, is that I am aware now and get off my butt and use my meetings, sponsor, pray, and get busy. Service work has been a lifeline for me. Bet the haircut looks GREAT!

Namaste

Annette said...

Welcome to blogger world! So glad you are here! I could relate to the effort it takes to get *ready* to do school drop off. I am usually in my pajamas and slippers. The progress for me is that I boldly walk my little one right up to her classroom door in said attire! If someone stops me along the way, I stop and visit too. I can't believe I really do that...but I do.

big Jenn said...

Hello, I just started blogging the other day too! I'm totally loving it! Your birthday is the same day as my duaghters(see blog for more info). Anyway,this group of people rocks!I'll be following too, jen

Patricia Marie said...

Came over via Syd's blog and wanted to say "hello". If you want an invite to my site, drop me an email at pzysk14@verizon.net. My blog is private. It is called childlost.

One Prayer Girl said...

Every bit of progress is cause for celebration.

So....congratulations!

Maria said...

You did better than I ever do in a kid's movie. I can't help it...I DETEST children's movies. I have to force myself to sit through them. I'm very lucky in that my daughter doesn't like them that much either..

And the thing is, everyone keeps telling me how sophisticated the new kid movies are, how tailored for grown ups too. I don't care. A cartoon is a cartoon is a cartoon.

Anonymous said...

Hi little Miss Sunshine! I found your blog via Prayer Girl and just could not resist the title! I am an alcoholic, when I first started to go to meetings my husband did not like it much either, but he got used to it! I have also been to al-anon,I started out there hoping that hubby was the alcoholic. Surprise! I am so grateful for the people in that program! you do not have to say or do anything at those meetings,it is Ok to just sit and listen. I am kind of surprised that they asked a newcomer to read. I can really relate to your guilt over having some fun today, keep going to al-anon, you are on your way!