Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving


Thanksgiving came in smoothly with family and left abruptly with hurt feelings for all.   Can't even begin to go into it all...but today I want to focus on the positive things that occurred during those precious 3 days.
  • I am thankful for the beautiful smiles of my niece and nephews.  They are growing up so fast.  
  • I am thankful for the excitement that our daughter had while playing her little heart out.
  • I am thankful for the time I had shopping with my sister for all the groceries needed.   We haven't been able to do that for sooo long!
  • I am thankful that Mom gave us her card to let us buy all kinds of goodies to help make the dinners and Thanksgiving a success.    
  • I am grateful for the great weather they had in traveling to our house.
  • I am thankful that all kiddos were healthy.
  • I am grateful that dad didn't go into shock and give me a lecture about our new car.
  • I am grateful that the kids seem to sleep OK for being in unfamiliar surroundings.
  • I am thankful that I saw C. acting beautifully and is growing up nicely...even without meds anymore.   I hope she can maintain without them.    I really miss her and would like her to stay with us for a week if you're willing.    You know I will be her ONLY AUNTIE.
  • I am thankful that Mom & Dad took the kids to the nearby park on Friday.
  • Thank you G. for complementing me on how I cut my pickles and sliced the turkey just the right size for the little ones.   That made me feel good. 
  • Thank you for admiring the kitchen and letting me know that you liked it.   That also meant a lot to me.   I value your opinion.   
  • I am thankful for all the delicious breads, cookies, pumpkin-pie and your home-made biscotti, your yummy toffee bars and the cappuccinos rocked G!    The Strata for brunch on Thursday was a hit and I need the recipe for the yummy salad with the Gorgonzola cheese and cranberry stuff.   How did you make that salad dressing?
  • Mom I loved the chex mix, breads, cookies, pies and appreciate all the meat and cinnamon rolls you stocked our deep freeze with.    I just made homemade beef and noodles tonight and they were delicious!    
  • I am grateful for the massager that you brought.   It is now on my wish list for hubby to buy me for Christmas.
I am so sorry that my sister felt unwelcome and left early.     We could have had such fun shopping and taking the kids to do fun things in the city over the weekend.    I know the Thanksgiving meal was chaotic and wish it would have gone differently.       I will call her but knew we both need the quiet distance for a week or so.   


I will say that just like what I'm learning in al-anon...it was similar that weekend.     I did not cause it....I cannot change it.....I cannot cure it....and so on.         It is so hard to set boundaries and not internalize when people are not happy with me.    But for the record sis....I am sorry and did treasure the time we did spend together.   Maybe someday....we need to get away...just the 2 of us for a spa trip or something like that-without kids or husbands.    


I know that even though I am working on loving detachment with my husband....it seems like I'm only being successful at the detaching-without love towards everyone.   I am a work in progress.    And I will never be perfect.       I love my family dearly and want God's best for all of us.    So G.   if you're reading this-sorry for everything.    I love you.        


I wrote this post but somehow didn't get it online....I have another crazy post to write about last weekend when I'm not so tired.   But tonight....I am grateful for my warm home as it is beginning to snow.   We are supposed to get our first measurable snow of the season.   Probably around 3 inches.     During my 16 years of teaching (I'm on a 2 year leave)...whenever snow was even in the forecast, I would watch the 3 local weather stations, The Weather Channel and constantly flip channels to see if it would snow the required 5-6 inches to cancel school.    The phone ringing to say "School is Closed" was just the BEST feeling on a cold morning.   So tonight I am grateful that I will go to bed knowing that I don't have to go to work in the morning.    I am also grateful that hubby will not have to scrape his windows at 5:00 in the morning when he leaves for work, as we now have our cars in a garage.


I need to just give God praise and just enjoy the morning with my sweet dolly (my 4 year old daughter.)   Have a sweet peaceful night.

7 comments:

Wait. What? said...

Caper the hardest thing for me was detaching with love - I see taht if i am detaching sometimes it is because I do not want to be a part of something that triggers ugly feelings from my past. Its a fine line - you sound like you are doing good, desite the Thanksgiving event.

Did you get my emails?
Cat

Annette said...

Good for you for focusing on the poitive. Sounds like some sadness is mixed in there too though. It is hard for everyone when we begin to change old behaviors. Its like we change the rules mid-game and no one really knows what to do. But that is ok. It opens the door for everyone to learn new ways of doing things if they are willing. Keep on keeping on.

Progress, Not Perfection said...

The first step is awareness. It is nice to know that I am not "expected" to change everything over night. Good for you for focusing on all of the good things in your life. I loved your gratitude list.

As I like to say Progress, not Perfection.

Peace and Serenity,
Kristen

Syd said...

I'm just catching up on your blog. It sounds as if you had a mixed emotion kind of Thanksgiving. But I like your accenting the positive. I'm better at doing that than concentrating on the negative things.

And yippee for your school being closed. Nothing like being snowed in.

Wait. What? said...

I left a little something for oyu on my page! I miss ya!

One Prayer Girl said...

Hi Caper,
I just wanted to welcome you to my site. I saw you became a follower and I always like to acknowledge that. So, again, welcome.

Would love to see another blog from you. I don't know about you, but the holiday season is often really busy. Hopefully you'll post again sooner or maybe later after things have calmed down.

One of the hardest things in recovery is becoming aware of our shortcomings and not yet really having the tools (moved from the head where we know what to do - to the heart where they have become a part of us and we can apply them) to deal with them.

TIME. Things change in TIME.
KUTGW (Keep up the good work!)

steveroni said...

Caper, I was just writing you a message (Email) and wishing you well on your holidays, off from school--only to find--reading here--that you're on leave, etc.

So, I make mistakes all the time.
mistake-a-roni

Good luck. Get back on here with a blog--they do not have to be dissertaions! (See mine today, e.g.)